Rescues are still happening in Houston, Texas, as people flee the area. Many pets were left behind or lost, but thankfully there were brave people who risked their lives to save these animals.
Here are the amazing stories of some of the animals that have been saved.
Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind.
Isiah Courtney carries his dog, Bruce, through the flood on August 28, 2017.
The dog has a ball in his mouth, ready to play fetch. Can't keep a good dog down.
Best friends through the toughest times.
This dog was found clinging onto a rail for dear life, and rescuers pulled her to safety
Hannah was found clinging to the guard rail, while flood waters surged around her. These rescuers, in trash bag ponchos, pulled her to safety. Her owners later came to pick her up. She is safe and sound!
This abandoned dog was left tied to a telephone pole, but the photographer rescued it!
This picture is heart breaking, but thankfully the kind photographer saved the pup after snapping a picture. Texas officials are reminding the public to never leave their animals or livestock tied up.
This terrified hawk flew into a taxi driver's car to keep safe
The driver named him "Harvey the Hurricane Hawk", and allowed the little guy to stay with him to keep safe.
His latest update is, "It's just before 7am and Hurricane Harvey is pouring down rain in Houston, Texas. Harvey The Hurricane Hawk is hunkered down with us. We're OBVIOUSLY making a hurricane party out of it! He has made himself at home on his own next to my liquor and wine bar for the duration of Hurricane, leading me to believe he is a very intelligent Hawk".
This Instagrammer comforted this scared puppy by giving him a boat ride!
Kiwi, the dog, was happy to have a safe place to stay afloat.
Cowboys save horses and cows
These cowboys saved horses and cows from drowning in the flood. Many of the cows were unable to swim and had water past their necks, so these heroes used their horses to tie them up and float them out (videos can be seen on Chance Ward's Facebook page).
This is love
Naomi Coto carries her dog to safety as she evacuates her home.
How you can help
- A GoFundMe page has been set up by 4 Paws Farm and the I Love My Dog Team to raise donations for veterinary care, food, and bedding for animals impacted by Hurricane Harvey. To date, the fundraiser has surpassed its original goal, raising almost $50K in just a few days. Click here for more information and to donate.
- Best Friends Animal Society, the first animal rescue on the ground during Hurricane Katrina, has deployed its disaster response team to Texas to help rescue stranded animals, deliver supplies and transport displaced pets. You can donate to the disaster relief fund here.
- The SPCA of Texas is working to evacuate pets out of the affected ares and is helping to provide resources on pet-friendly housing to those evacuating the Houston area. The SPCA of Texas is accepting donations here.
- Austin Pets Alive! Is moving as many displaced animals as possible into its shelter and is working on adopting out the animals currently residing there, so it has more room for Harvey evacuees. The rescue is looking for financial donations and potential adopters, learn more here.
- American Humane is working to rescue animals from the flood waters, as well, and is also providing hundreds of pounds of pet food to pet owners and their animals currently displaced by Harvey. To support these efforts, click here.