Walker Lamond is the author of Rules for My Unborn Son, in which he brings us this collection of traditional, humorous, and urbane fatherly advice for boys.
1. There are plenty of ways to enter a pool. The stairs is not one of them.
2. Never cancel dinner plans by text message.
3. Dont knock it til you try it.
4. If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck.
5. Always use we when referring to your home team or your government.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. DONT underestimate free throws in a game of HORSE.
8. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.
9. Dont dumb it down.
10. You only get one chance to notice a new haircut.
11. If youre staying more than one night, unpack.
12. Never park in front of a bar.
13. Expect the seat in front of you to recline. Prepare accordingly.
14. Keep a picture of your first fish, first car, and first girl/boyfriend.
15. Hold your heroes to a high standard.
16. A suntan is earned, not bought.
17. Never lie to your doctor.
18. All guns are loaded.
19. Dont mention sunburns. Believe me, they know.
20. The best way to show thanks is to wear it. Even if its only once.
21. Take a vacation from your cell phone, internet, and TV once a year.
22. Dont fill up on bread, no matter how good it is.
23. A handshake beats an autograph.
24. Dont linger in the doorway. In or out.
25. If you choose to go in drag, dont sell yourself short.
26. If you want to know what makes you unique, sit for a caricature.
27. Never get your haircut the day of a special event.
28. Be mindful of what comes between you and the Earth. Always buy good shoes, tires, and sheets.
29. Never eat lunch at your desk if you can avoid it.
30. When youre with new friends, dont just talk about old friends.
31. Eat lunch with the new kids.
32. When traveling, keep your wits about you.
33. Its never too late for an apology.
34. Dont pose with booze.
35. If you have right of way, TAKE IT.
36. You dont get to choose your own nickname.
37. When you marry someone, remember you marry their entire family.
38. Never push someone off a dock.
39. Under no circumstances should you ask a woman if she is pregnant.
40. Its not enough to be proud of your ancestry, live up to it.
41. Dont make a scene.
42. When giving a thank you speech, short and sweet is best.
43. Know when to ignore the camera.
44. Never gloat.
45. Invest in great luggage.
46. Make time for your mom on your birthday, Its her special day too.
47. When opening presents, no one likes a good guesser.
48. Sympathy is a crutch, never fake a limp.
49. Give credit. Take Blame.
50. Suck it up every now and again.
51. Never be the last one in the pool.
52. Dont stare.
53. Address everyone that carries a firearm professionally.
54. Stand up to bullies. Youll only have to do it once.
55. If youve made your point, stop talking.
56. Admit it when youre wrong.
57. If you offer to help dont quit until the job is done.
58. Look people in the eye when you thank them.
59. Thank the bus driver.
60. Never answer the phone at the dinner table.
61. Forgive yourself for your mistakes.
62. Know at least one good joke.
63. Dont boo. Even the ref is somebodys son.
64. Know how to cook one good meal.
65. Learn to drive a stick shift.
66. Be cool to younger kids. Reputations are built over a lifetime.
67. Its okay to go to the movies by yourself.
68. Dance with your mother/father.
69. Dont lose your cool. Especially at work.
70. Always thank the host.
71. If you dont understand, ask before its too late.
72. Know the size of your boyfriend/girlfriend’s clothes.
73. There is nothing wrong with a plain t-shirt.
74. Be a good listener. Dont just take your turn to talk.
75. Keep your word.
76. In college always sit in the front. Youll stand out immediately. Come grade time it might come in handy.
77. Carry your mothers bags. She carried you for 9 months.
78. Be patient with airport security. They are just doing their job.
79. Dont be the talker in a movie.
80. The opposite sex likes people who shower.
81. You are what you do. Not what you say.
82. Learn to change a tire.
83. Be kind. Everyone has a hard fight ahead of them.
84. An hour with grandparents is time well spent. Ask for advice when you need it.
85. Dont litter.
86. If you have a sister, get to know her boyfriend. Your opinion is important.
87. You wont always be the strongest of fastest. But you can be the toughest.
88. Never call someone before or after 9 AM and 9PM.
89. Buy the orange properties in Monopoly.
90. Make the little things count.
91. Always wear a bra at work.
92. There is a fine line between looking sultry and slutty. Find it.
93. Youre never too old to need your mom.
94. Ladies, if you make the decision to wear heels on the first date commit to keeping them on and toning down how much your feet kill.
95. Know the words to your national anthem.
96. Your dance moves might not be the best, but I promise making a fool of yourself is more fun than sitting on the bench alone.
97. Smile at strangers.
98. Make Goals.
99. Being old is not dictated by your bedtime.
100. If you HAVE to fight, punch first and punch hard.