Families go to Sonic Drive-Ins seeking a safe, wholesome dining experience. They do not go there to prepare for their local rave. However, a 4-year-old boy from Taylor, Texas, would have fit right in at such an event with what he found in his kids meal at his local Sonic.
The young boy's 11-year-old sister unwrapped her brother's hamburger to find a dose of MDMA, commonly referred to as ecstasy, inside the wrapper. Though the children initially assumed it to be candy, their parents suspected worse. A test at the Taylor Police Department confirmed their suspicion.
"This is an unusual incident," Taylor Police Chief Henry Fluck told KVUE.
A deeper investigation into the restaurant led to the arrest of Sonic three employees: Jose Molina, Jonathan Roberson, and former manager Tanisha Dancer. While the ecstasy pill was the initial reason for the investigation, the three employees arrested were guilty of more than that.
Molina was in possession of marijuana at the time of his arrest. Dancer, who was also found to have three more ecstasy pills on her after a search at the Williamson County Jail, had an outstanding warrant for a parole violation in a different county. Roberson had outstanding warrants for four different offenses, including theft by check, driving with an invalid license, failure to appear in court, and bond forfeiture.
"It seems like they didn't do a good job of vetting their employees very well," Chief Fluck added.
What do you think? Will you never let your kids eat at a Sonic ever again, or was that ecstasy supposed to be your order? Let us know in the comments below!