"There Was Little Room To Mistake Their Intent"

"About 4 years ago, I was at work late dealing with some closing issues. It took longer than usual, so I ended up being the last to leave; it was pretty late, around 8 pm. My place of work isn't in the middle of nowhere, nor is it in a bad part of town. It's in a normal, nice area, but it's usually abandoned after 7 pm. When I got outside, I hopped in my car and prepared to pull out into the street.

As I stopped and looked both ways, I noticed two figures standing to my left on the sidewalk. Thing is, they were both dressed in white bodysuits from head to toe and rapidly approaching my car. As in, they were headed straight for the driver's door and there was little room to mistake their intent.

I hoofed the gas and turned down the street as fast as I could. My mirror showed them both moving my way on foot, which alarmed me since I live in a nearby neighborhood barely a 5-minute walk from there.

I didn't think beyond getting home and locking the door. Nobody else was on the street, near the parking lot, or anywhere. My town isn't known for dangerous types or shenanigans, but wow that really scared. Two stranger jerks in head to toe bodysuits? It wasn't Halloween, and they looked super conspicuous, but nobody else saw them. What the heck?"

When The Hunters Nearly Become The Hunted
When The Hunters Nearly Become The Hunted

"I was deer hunting with a friend on some property my uncle owns in a pretty remote area. It's right off of a main road with only a couple trailer homes along the side, and to get to the tree stand, its a good 20 minutes walking up and down hills through some thick forest. Let me try to paint a little bit of a picture here to make this easier to explain. At the base of the last hill is our two person tree stand for hunting, then there is about 100 feet of land to the lake. But that part is pretty thin, about 60 feet, creating a peninsula jutting from the land to our left with the rest of the lake behind it.

About 45 minutes before the sun rose, we started to hear knocking sounds from the tip of the peninsula that sounded a lot like male deer fighting with their antlers. We started getting pretty excited, thinking, 'Heck yeah there's at least two bucks out there!' Then we heard the knocking coming from the other end of the peninsula as well. 'Well, that's crazy, we have four male deer here?!' The knocking went on for a few minutes, getting a little closer, at which point we realized it was way too precise to be deer fighting.

Then I noticed that when the one on the right clicked once, the other clicked once. When one clicked twice, the other clicked twice. They were directly mimicking each other. It couldn't have been an echo, because they were spaced out a little. Also, it wasn't instant like an echo would be, and they were both about the same in volume. Over the next few minutes, the knocking sounds got closer and closer together. Then for about ten minutes...nothing. Then out of nowhere, we heard something like an animal on the peninsula dying, almost like a hurt dog yelping. Then we hear a loud THUD and all went quiet.

We looked at each other, not sure what to say. I stood up and screamed, 'Who's out there?!' Then I heard the most blood-curdling, awful noise that I have ever heard in my life. I shake every time I think about it. It started as a deep, low growl and turned into a high, raspy howl, and my blood instantly went cold. My friend and I looked back at each other, yelling, 'WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?' at the same time.

I yelled again, something like, 'You better get out of here!' Whatever it was howled one more time, and then took off through the woods. I swear to you, I could feel its footsteps. Whatever it was, it moved on two legs; I've taken many tracking and hunting classes plus I grew up in the woods, so I know what a running deer sounds like. Then it crashed through some cattails on the edge of the lake and through the forest. We could see it moving, and it was going fast through probably a foot of mud and cattails.

We didn't say a word. We got down one at a time while the other was pointing their weapon where we heard the noises, and walked out of there backwards. We left and called everyone we knew, but as college kids, none of our friends were up. Nobody believed us, so I wanted to go back that afternoon and see if I could find any tracks in the mud where we saw it run. My friend wouldn't go with me, so I went alone. When I got to the cattails on the peninsula, something else had already come back before me. A large branch had wiped all of the footprints from the mud and was laying next to them in the woods. I've been back maybe twice since then, and it's been about 5 years. I'm always armed, and I'm always with someone else."

It Was A Fugue State Caused By The Presence Of Evil
It Was A Fugue State Caused By The Presence Of Evil

"When I was about 15 years old, I had a bizarre experience one time when I woke up in the middle of the night. I remember looking at the clock, and it was around 1:30 am. I went to the kitchen to make some hot tea to take back to bed with me. Now, our kitchen was attached to the dining room, which was a step down from the kitchen. The kitchen and the dining room both had large sliding glass doors and big windows facing the backyard, all on the same wall. The cabinets and counter where we kept the tea was opposite the wall of windows, and it made a little corner.

I remember walking into the kitchen with the lights off, going to the tea corner of the kitchen, and then standing in the corner looking at the windows and sliding glass doors. I felt like someone was watching me through them. I had that gut feeling, you know the one. I stood there for about a minute, very still, like maybe they wouldn't see me if I didn't move. Then I went back to my room, without making the tea.

When I got back to my room, I looked at the clock and it read 5 am. I had been standing in the kitchen for 3 and a half hours. I had no idea how that was possible because it only felt like maybe a minute. To this day, it is still the creepiest thing that has ever happened to me. My mom never believed me when I told her because she 'never felt anything bad in our house.' I didn't most of the time, but that night I absolutely did."

"Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are!"

"I was out camping near Crater Lake in Oregon, and I was alone. I'd trekked in about 10 miles from the trail with very light gear and made camp on a ridge overlooking a valley. Then I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of shouting in the distance.

I looked down in the valley and saw two flashlights moving in one direction. I figured it was some campers night hiking or playing a game, so I just observed. It became apparent they were looking for someone. I could barely hear them, but once in a while they shouted out something like, 'We will find you!' or, 'Come out, come out, wherever you are!' It was like they were toying with someone. Hide-and-go-seek? That's what I was thinking; weird, but whatever.

Eventually, I saw both lights turn suddenly and bolt in one direction. From what I could make out they found who they were looking for. Again, I couldn't see much except for the flashlights beams. The two flashlight people started laughing maniacally, and it was getting really creepy.

Then I heard a loud woman's scream and the movement of the lights stopped in one spot while she continued to scream. Then it sounded like she was being beaten and violated. I had no clue what to do; I was unarmed and quite far from them, so I packed up camp and decided to head to the rangers station (no cell service). It's rough terrain at night and I was off trail with no GPS. While I have great sense of direction normally, I can't see my landmarks at night so to be safe I stopped and waited for sunup.

After hardly any sleep, the sun began to rise as I figured out where I was and continued back to my car and the ranger's station. I finally arrived, exhausted, and the station was closed. I found the number to the park service and made a report. They thanked me and said they would send out search and rescue.

I followed the news the next couple of days, but didn't hear anything. I was extremely curious, so I called the park service back and asked to speak to the same guy I filed the report with. Apparently, they found the people almost immediately, all camped out together. After some questioning, it came out that they (two men and one woman) were playing some kind of weird, dirty fantasy game in the woods. It was a relief to learn that no one was harmed, but holy crap it freaked me out."

"I Don't Think About It Ever, And I Don't Want To"

"My sophomore year of high school, my girlfriend and I were headed to the school dance. We lived in a small Texas town; for reference, my graduating class was 120. She had picked me up (I was 15 at the time so still not driving) and we had gotten dinner. The meal went by faster than we'd expected, so we had about an hour to kill. We were driving on the backroads near her house when she told me that she had found the perfect make-out spot. At the time my hormonal brain obviously didn't think about just how illegal or dangerous it was to trespass in the middle of nowhere.

We pulled into a driveway, or what used to be one. The road was gravel for about 40 feet and then turned to dirt. That dirt road was extremely overgrown with grass and appeared to have not been used in years. There was a field to the left of us and a densely wooded area to the right. Three large gravel piles were between us and the woods. When she pulled in, she pulled the car around to face the exit. Such a trivial thing, yet it made all the difference. She shut the car off and we hopped into the backseat, quickly getting down to business. An hour went by and we were about ready to hit the road.

While we were getting dressed, she looked at me and said, 'I really have to pee.' At that point, my hormones were under control and I'd realized just how sketchy the place was. It was pitch black, the car was off, and all of our doors were unlocked. 'Right now? We're in the middle of nowhere.' She was a stubborn girl, which might have had something to do with why we're not together anymore. I saw her reaching for the door handle. I've had a few cinematic moments in my life, but the way she reached for that door is something I'll never forget. Her hand moved so slowly, as if she was waiting for something to happen.

Just as her fingertips touched the handle, a crisp knocking noise came from the back of the car. It was most certainly the sound of knuckles tapping against the top of the trunk. Keep in mind there were no trees or anything that could've been making such a noise on the car. It was a perfect rhythm of knuckles on metal for about 10 seconds. My girlfriend and I sat dead still holding onto each other, neither of us even breathing. After the longest 10 seconds of my life, the knocking stopped. Total silence. I attempted to look out the window to see if I could see anyone or anything but I could hardly even see my girlfriend's face right in front of mine.

'What the heck was that?!' she asked me. 'I don't know, start the car.' My hands were trembling and I could hear the fear in my own voice. 'Babe, please start the car.' I asked again. 'I can't move,' she replied. The second she was quiet, the knocking started again, the same rhythmic beating that I can still remember perfectly. I'd had enough. In the next three seconds I was able to jump in the front seat, start the car, lock the doors, turn on the headlights, and put my seatbelt on because safety first.

I floored that Toyota Corolla like I was a freaking Nascar driver. I hit about 50mph on the turn out of that driveway, spewing gravel on whatever was behind me. I drove like a madman for about 2 miles down the road before stopping at an electric plant. My girlfriend got out to use the bathroom and I sat in the front seat, my whole still body shaking. I got dressed, and we drove the rest of the way in silence. That was the first time I had driven a car outside of a parking lot.

Once we got to the dance we sat in the corner. Funnily I have no idea what we even said to each other about it. I just knew that I was never going back to that place. Or so I thought. Near the end of the dance one of my best friends came up to me and I explained to her what had happened. 'We've gotta go back.' I couldn't believe my ears. After all that and this girl wanted to go 'check it out.'

The next day she came and picked me up around noon. We went back to the spot, and if she didn't believe me the night before, she definitely did then. I got a good look at the spot, just as I remembered it the night before, but now I could really see just how secluded it really was. There were no houses or buildings within sight of the place. Where that driveway once went was certainly not there anymore. I walked up to where the tire marks were from the night before, still fresh in the gravel. I grimaced as I noticed boot prints leading up to the back of the marks. Two prints, side by side, right behind the back left tire. The prints came and returned to the overgrown brush.

My friend could tell I was pretty uncomfortable, so we decided to head out. A couple months went by, and my girlfriend and I broke up over unrelated matters. We attend different colleges now, but sometimes she will come and visit some high school friends that attend my school. I saw her last semester. We caught up for a while, just about life and all that good stuff. During a lull in the conversation I asked, 'Do you ever think about that time...' and she put her hand up, the smile gone from her face. 'I don't think about it. Ever. And I don't want to.' And that was the end of that."

It Was Like A Scene Straight Out Of Deliverance
It Was Like A Scene Straight Out Of Deliverance

"Years ago a friend and I were taking a road trip to Santa Cruz and had entered in the address for the boardwalk into my Garmin. We were both unfamiliar with the area and were relying entirely on the device for directions. I was driving, and the longer I drove, the weirder it seemed. The Garmin was directing us into a forest.

At one point I had my friend double-check the address we had entered to make sure it was correct. It was, but the Garmin kept directing us deeper and deeper into the forest. I'm innately bad with directions, so I figured maybe we'd come out on the coast somehow. We went on about thirty minutes when the Garmin directed us down a winding, one-lane road that was headed for the bottom of a valley. We couldn't see the valley floor because the trees were so dense around us, and this road went on forever with crazy switchbacks. By that point, I was certain we were going in the wrong direction, and I was just waiting for a safe spot to turn around but there was nowhere to do it.

After driving down that creepy, dark road for what felt like an eternity while growing increasingly freaked out that my Garmin was taking us to some middle-of-nowhere location, we finally reached the valley floor and it was eerie as heck. It was some type of abandoned mining site with huge, rusted equipment and trash blowing along the ground in the breeze. My friend and I just looked at each other confused, because the Garmin was telling us we had reached our destination.

The place gave off a really bad vibe---I didn't want to be there for a second and neither did my friend. As I was turning the car around to head back up the way we came, we saw a man come out of one of the abandoned buildings looking like a character out of Deliverance. He had something that looked like a pipe in his hand, and he just stood there staring intensely at our car as I booked it out of there. The drive back was tense until we got out of that forest. We eventually made it to the boardwalk and met up with our friends who lived in the area, but they had no idea what road we were talking about and thought we were exaggerating about how creepy the whole thing was. I got rid of my Garmin after that trip."

It Was Like She'd Never Seen A Horror Movie Before
It Was Like She'd Never Seen A Horror Movie Before

"One time some of my adventurous cousins and I decided to look in this seemingly abandoned house that was off the beaten path. We went in and there was still power to the house. The refrigerator was open, and in the middle of the kitchen table was a jewelry box that was also open. Everything was neatly arranged. The living room had 4 foot stacks of magazines lining every single wall.

One bedroom had only a twin bed in it. It was made, but completely covered in ribbons. Like 'yay I won something' ribbons for all things horse-related. The ribbons were in perfect order, forming neat little lines. The next 'bedroom' was bare except for taxidermied animals on the walls. In that room we heard a thud in the attic and preceded to get the heck out of there.

While running down the street I looked back. By the house was a shed, but made of cinder blocks and with no roof. In the doorway with no door was a shadowy figure: just a black silhouette of a tall man. It was around noon, so no shadows, no roof, and no door. It moved.

When we got back we realized one girl had taken a pearl necklace. Now, I'm not very superstitious, but I knew that was a rookie mistake. We made her take it back, and I watched from the end of the house's driveway. There was a deep freezer next to the back door, and she put the necklace on it and was turning to leave when something shoved her at least 3 feet backwards and onto her butt. She didn't trip, but she was obviously pushed by some kind of force. Being a good cousin and friend, I kindly began to run faster than I ever had in my life. She said something pushed her down. I haven't been in any 'abandoned' house since. Why? Because I'm not trying to deal with that again."

He Thought It Might've Been All In His Head, But Then A Friend Piped Up
He Thought It Might've Been All In His Head, But Then A Friend Piped Up

"When I was in my early teens, I was walking from a friend's house back to the train station in the countryside. It was in the late afternoon, and the sun was starting to set. As I was walking, there was nobody to be seen except for an old looking man with a hat, about 100 yards behind me. I didn't mind him much, but just to be careful I always look behind me once in a while.

The man kept following me for quite a while, even when I walked through different roads, and he was getting closer and closer. I started to have this uncomfortable feeling. You know, like when you have a shiver shoot down your spine. The train station was still about a 5-10 minute walk away, so I picked up the walking pace, hoping to get at least some distance between me and him. Still, the man seemed to be getting closer, as if he was picking up his pace.

I arrived at the station, a little bit scared and really hoping there would be some people at the unmanned platform. Fortunately, there were a few adults, and a few more on the other side. I looked around, but the man was nowhere to be seen. At that moment, I thought he might've just been walking the same path as I did, and that I could've just been imagining things.

The train arrived after about 15 minutes or so, and I felt relieved that I could go back home. Then the train stopped, people got on, and lo and behold! I saw a man jogging inside the car next to the one I was in. It was the same guy as before. At that point I was pretty freaked out, but I just sat down, making sure there were some people around. A few minutes passed, and then I heard the door between the cars open, and it was that same old man. He sat at the opposite side of the car. Once in a while, he would stare at me and smile. Although I was really scared, I felt somewhat safe since other adults were around.

A little over half an hour later, the train finally arrived in the city where I have to take another train to go home. The doors opened and people got in and out, but I stayed down until a moment before they closed. I got up, ran to the door, and managed to get out just in time. The man also got up and tried to follow me but was stuck inside the train. I ran to my platform and went back home, looking around me the whole time.

For some reason, I didn't tell my parents, as nothing happened really and I thought my parents would've been unnecessarily worried. I told several friends, however, but none believed me. They said it was probably just a normal stranger who happened to take the same path as me, and that I might've seen him differently because I was scared.

Then years later, I mentioned the story to another group of friends, and one of them cut me off to ask, 'IS IT THAT OLD MAN WITH WHITE HAIR AND A HAT?' I said yeah, he was somewhat tall, in his 50s, had white hair and was wearing a hat. Well, that friend had the same experience, around the same place, except the man apparently followed him inside the toilet and tried to talk to him while he peed. He was also looking at his wiener (friend was a teen at the time too) and started to pee right next to him. Luckily for him someone else came in and my friend was able to bolt. So yeah, that guy was at least a pervert, maybe even worse. I guess we were both very lucky."

Far From Normal
Far From Normal

"One of my best friends of all time and I bonded pretty hard over our similar insomnia patterns and, knowing the other would probably be awake, we would usually text each other around 1 or 2 in the morning. Having nothing else to do, we'd usually drive around town talking about random stuff like movies we'd seen or stories relating to songs on the radio.

One night our driving path led to this new subdivision kind of outside the city limits. It was off of a main highway, probably a mile or two east of town where all the subdivisions had generic names and all the houses were different shades of the same crappy brown or gray.

So we pulled into this random subdivision, and the first thing we noticed was the lack of streetlights. Usually, these new subdivisions were lit out the butt but this one wasn't, which was weird. Then we turned a corner and noticed, oh I dunno, at least 75% of the occupants of the homes on this block just randomly standing out in their front yards. With the lights out. At 2 am.

They weren't conversing amongst each other, or walking a certain direction, or acting like normal human beings would have if something like a fire or a transformer blowout happened. They were just standing there, facing the street on each side and wearing what looked like street clothes. We obviously immediately left, and I've gone back to the place in broad daylight a couple of times. It just looks like a normal neighborhood. I dunno what we saw, but I know we both saw it."


Subscribe to our digest and receive a weekly email of hand-picked stories.

Get hand-picked stories just like these delivered straight to your inbox!

Add Your Comment

Staff Picks!

People Who Cleaned Out The Home Of A Recently Departed Loved One Share The Discovery They Wish They Hadn't Made Spooky People Who Cleaned Out The Home Of A Recently Departed Loved One Share The Discovery They Wish They Hadn't Made
People Reveal What They Overheard While They Were "Asleep" Spooky People Reveal What They Overheard While They Were "Asleep"
People Reveal The Time A Gut Feeling Saved Their Lives Spooky People Reveal The Time A Gut Feeling Saved Their Lives
Cookie Settings