1. Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
2. A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on a cold night.
3. I think that sexuality is only attractive when it’s natural and spontaneous.
4. If I’d observed all the rules, I’d never have got anywhere.
5. I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.
6. Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn’t that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you.
7. It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone – so far.
8. Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
9. Fame doesn’t fulfill you. It warms you a bit, but that warmth is temporary.
10. Having a child, that’s always been my biggest fear. I want a child and I fear a child.
11. I am not a victim of emotional conflicts. I am human.
12. Nothing’s ever easy as long as you go on living.
12. We should all start to live before we get too old.
13. Respect is one of life’s greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don’t have that?
14. Hollywood is a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
15. Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you’re a human being, you feel, you suffer. You’re gay, you’re sick, you’re nervous or whatever.
16. Someone said to me, ‘If fifty percent of the experts in Hollywood said you had no talent and should give up, what would you do?’ My answer was then and still is, ‘If a hundred percent told me that, all one hundred percent would be wrong.’
17. I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.
18. Experts on romance say for a happy marriage there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition for friendship.
19. The truth is, I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let men sometimes fool themselves.
20. If I’d observed all the rules, I’d never have got anywhere.
21. A career is born in public – talent in privacy.
22. It’s nice to be included in people’s fantasies but you also like to be accepted for your own sake.
23. First, I’m trying to prove to myself that I’m a person. Then maybe I’ll convince myself that I’m an actress.
24. If I close my eyes and think of Hollywood, all I see is one big varicose vein.
25.Fame is like caviar, you know – it’s good to have caviar but not when you have it at every meal.
26. I was brought up differently than the average American child because the average child is brought up expecting to be happy.
27. I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle.
30. I won’t be satisfied until people want to hear me sing without looking at me. Of course, that doesn’t mean I want them to stop looking.
31. To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I’m working on the foundation.
32. You know, most people really don’t know me.
Click to share if you think Marilyn is the best!