Housekeepers working for motels, hotels, resorts, and cruise ships were asked: “What is the most WTF, weird, awkward situation scene that you have stumbled upon in work?”
These are some of the best answers.
1. Used condoms placed over every light bulb in the room. Discovered when the condoms started to burn.
2. Had an employee give out the wrong keys to a room. Parents gave the keys to small children. They ran ahead and opened the door. Inside was a couple performing bdsm, complete with ball gag and crop.
3. An older gentleman asked me if I had a boyfriend while I was cleaning the restroom. And when we were alone, he grabbed me and kissed me. He was later escorted out with his wife… I’m a dude.
4. I worked front desk at a hotel and one guy brought in a mini-propane grill and started grilling chicken in his room.
We found out when the whole hall started to smell delicious. Unfortunately we had to make him stop.
5. Former hotel manager here. Check under your mattress if you stay in a hotel because odds are the housekeepers aren’t bothering to lift up the mattress like they should. After you’ve lifted said mattress go ahead and enjoy the copious amounts of porn that are left there for you.
Seriously, people leave adult magazines and DVDs under those mattresses all the time. Quite often it’s a regular guest who requests the same room and it’s just their stash because they know the small Nepalese housekeeper won’t lift the mattress even a little bit.
6. When I was younger I worked night reception in a real crappy rundown hotel. I took over night shift from the afternoon shift and was given my handover. As per usual on the weekends we had our late check-outs and wake up calls for airport transfers. Come 2.45am I called the guest in room 3405 but got no answer. Tried again a few more times and nothing still. Now as I had mentioned, this being such a crummy -3 star rat infested hotel from hell, we had a total staff of one… me. So off I went, up 3 floors with the master key to fetch ”Mr. Colins”. I knocked 3 times and no answer so in I went. What I saw next will haunt me forever. Across the room in the double door-ed fake mahogany closet was ”Mr. Collins” , butt naked in a standing position, knees bent, shoulder slumped on the inside of the closet with a belt attached around his neck, buckle side attached to the closet rail. Eyes closed and a great big smile on his face. Dead as a dodo.
So first aid training kicked in. I knew it was for nothing. The dude was cold as a well diggers arse. Called the ambulance and started CPR but was obvious the guy was not coming back. Paramedics took over but was pronounced dead straight away.
Working in the hospitality industry, you somewhat prepare yourself for grannies passing away in the middle of the night and the odd heart attack here and there….but never auto-erotic asphyxiation related deaths.
7. Well, I used to work at a hotel before I joined the Navy. One weekend, we had a bedridden lady checked in by the police because gang members came to shoot up her house. She stayed for two days, and her family would come to get her Sunday. That was the worst weekend ever.
I felt bad mostly for the Chinese business intern we had, as he was called in the most by her. She even asked him once to change her diaper (normally, she had a catheter, but with the situation and all…) and that’s where we drew the line. We left all requests by her to the manager on duty.
Unfortunately, since she didn’t get a diaper change in time, she ended up peeing the bed. We ended up having to put the room out of commission for a month and a half.
8. I worked as a Night Auditor for a small town chain hotel in the early 1990’s. On night a nicely dressed business man checked in on my shift. He came back up to the desk a few minutes later and rented a few movies (we had VCRs in the rooms back then). One of the movies was The Hunt for Red October (just came out on video). The evening went pretty uneventful, but the next night when I came to work I received the news.
Sometime during my shift he had blown his head of with a large handgun while in his bed. No-one heard or saw this happen, and he was found by a maid about 1PM the next day, and he had bled out. Because all of the maids were Haitian, none of them would clean up the mess. I went into the room and could see the huge pool of blood on the bed and the floor. It took them over a week to clean the room, it smelled terrible. As it turned out, the blood leaked under the floor and under the bed in the adjoining room, that we still rented out, without knowing there was coagulated blood on the floor. We just kept airing the room out and spaying a lot of air freshener. To this day I have never seen The Hunt for Red October.
9. Painted landscapes across three of the four walls. In poop. Surprisingly talented.
10. I worked for a small golf resort for several years and this story still burns hole is my brain every time I tell it. So we have these small hotel rooms that contain two beds and a bathroom. I serviced (fresh towels, ect.) it for three days and everything was normal. On check out day, six men checked out. I seen them meet up with their wives/gfs (who weren’t staying with them) at the front desk as I was clocking in. I walk in to the unit after they left and there was shit and blood smeared everywhere!
The walls, the sheets, the shower, and even the t.v. There were about 20 condoms laying out on the heater attached to the wall. As I was removing the sheets to throw them away two butt plugs with condoms still on them flopped out on the floor and one started vibrating. It had to be the most disturbing mess I had to clean up. And when I notified the front desk/ manager he refused to bill them for leaving such a huge mess to clean up and he said “This is a place where people come to relax. If they want to let loose then so be it” I was so mad!
11. I worked as a housekeeper in a four star hotel. It was quite an expensive place and we often had rich guests from the Middle East (this is relevant). The hotel, of course, had a spa area, and it was my duty to close this area around 10PM, meaning to shoo the last guests out of the pool and sauna, clean everything and close it.
One time I went to see if there were any guests still in the sauna, and when I opened the door there was a woman and man (I assume they were husband and wife) sitting inside – he was naked, only with a towel around his waist, and she was fully veiled, wearing a head-to-toe chador, inside a 90C sauna.
Needless to say I was surprised. I don’t care about religious clothing rules, to each his own I guess, but sitting inside a sauna fully veiled surely made me raise my eyebrows a little.
12. I work as a housekeeper at a casino during the party hours and have been there for awhile… I have so many stories to share from how crazy it is there it’s pretty hard to believe the stuff I’ve seen. One in particular I got called to go close down a restroom because a young woman was having a miscarriage right there.
13. Alright, so a few girls and myself team up and clean these cottages for a state park. I usually clean bathrooms cause the girls don’t wanna and I’d rather do it, just bleach everything and not have to worry about if stuff in the kitchen is missing. Anyway, cleaning the bathroom when I hear my coworker gag and tell me to come in the bedroom. I walk in and instantly smell something more foul than a chicken house. Look at the bed and there is a blood stain almost four feet wide crotch level center of the bed…
15. I was the night manager, and housekeeping told me there was blood on the walls. I went to the room, and the girl was shooting up something and obviously the blood had sprayed out everywhere. She tried to extend her stay. Turns out she was a crafty prostitute. She would have the first John pay her room through Expedia, and use it all night, then use the money to stay again.
She was perma banned after the blood though.
15. In a hostel made up of mostly dorm rooms with those false ceiling tiles that can be lifted up we got complaints of noises in the roof throughout the day, each time I went to investigate there was nothing in the room and no noise while I was there. This happened several times until I went into one room and found a wonky ceiling tile. So I climbed onto a top bunk and lifted the tile up. Just inside I found an empty half of vodka. I looked around and about three feet away is a stinking drunk, stinking backpacker staring at me. He’d been scampering around in the roof like a giant rat for the whole day. I shouted at him to get down and ended up grabbing him by the ankle until he gave in and slithered down onto the bed.
16. When I was 16 I worked at a hotel In Las Vegas doing housekeeping. Three males booked a room earlier that day at about 11, and had checked in immediately. They asked me for extra towels, and thinking nothing of it I handed it to them. As I continued my cleaning, I get to a room. Standard procedure when a room is occupied or booked is to knock three times and then go in. I knocked several times and didn’t hear a thing so I walked in. I immediately saw two of the guys 69’ing while the other was having anal sex with one of the guys. The only thing I was able to say was “Did you guys want your room cleaned?” They all jumped off the couch and covered themselves in the towels they were using to have sex on. The manliest one simply says “No we don’t!” and I slammed the door and walked out.
I’m 99% sure they checked out a few hours after and only booked the room for their threesome.
17. Not a housekeeper, but a supervisor at a hotel. Two weeks ago I get a call in the middle of the night from one of the bellmen telling me he needs help. I throw on some clothes and run over (I live across the street) to find a drunk guy passed out in one of the lobby bathroom stalls amongst the single most foul odour I have ever smelled. Couldn’t remember his room or who he was with.. Turns out he had decided to poop in the hallway and then fell in it, smearing it all over himself and the floor. Ended with me having to call the police and him calling me mean. That was actually the second time a drunk guy pooped in our hallway.
19. The housekeeping staff at the hotel I used to work at would put all the dildos they found in a box. It was a tradition to wrap the box and give it to the boss (female) at the Christmas party.
20. Worked at various hotels and motels in the LA region.
So many drugs, so many drunks.
One time, after knocking, entered to what seemed to be an empty room, with some clothes etc strewn around, drawers and closet door left open. Messy but nothing crazy.
Started cleaning with the bathroom which was right off the entryway, and then moved to the bedroom.
As I walked around to pick up stuff, I glanced at the open closet and almost jumped out of my skin. Like literally may have jumped a foot off the ground.
Older man (late 50’s), naked apart from underwear, ball gag in mouth, hands tied behind his back. Nothing seemed to be tying him or keeping him in the closet, but he had been there, silent and unmoving, the whole time i was in the room.
He kind of shrugged and rolled his eyes and pointed with his eyes towards the door. I wheeled out my cart and left. Big tip ($50, to me that’s pretty big) the next day post checkout. Now I always check showers and closets first.
21. I worked at a seven story hotel in Illinois and one night a man tried to climb out a 7th story window to the roof, a real daredevil. He fell to his death and the scene that followed was one of the most WTF moments of my life, and really changed my perception of people in general. It turned out that while climbing out the window his girlfriend tickled him, causing him to fall. Later, when outside, she screamed that over and over, “I didn’t mean to make him fall, I was only tickling him.” I thought she would die just crying. In their panic, the 4 remaining people in the room took the elevator to the basement, instead of the ground floor and proceeded to punch holes in the wall because they were so stoned and wasted they couldn’t find their way out. One got out but the rest were down there for over an hour. When the woman finally got outside, where I headed after calling the police, she literally clawed at me and begged me to do CPR in spite of a gusher of blood coming out of his mouth, he was obviously done. It was a confusing and chaotic night after that, I was the manager on duty and so I was the one who let the police into the room. I watched the police chaplain gather up all the drugs and paraphernalia into a shopping bag, and he did a thorough search, too. There was tons of it, more drugs than I have ever seen before or since. It took hours to clean everything up and the last thing to happen was the fire department hosing the blood away.
(continued on the next page)
What was so WTF that changed my view on people? The official police report stated that drugs were suspected to play a role but none were found in the room. It was just stated that man fancied himself a daredevil and others in the room didn’t notice he was gone for several minutes. All total lies. I’ll never believe another police report as long as I live. I’ll never believe another news story, even a small one. What happened and what was reported were so different I wondered if something had happened at another hotel the same night. So, not a fun, funny story, but one of the most WTF nights of my life.
22. Somebody managed to take a poop from the 3rd floor of the hotel down to the first floor landing….I had to clean it by hand, possibly the nastiest experience of my life.
23. I work at a decent hotel at the front desk and i have seen a few things. One night i received a call at the desk from a woman who was in hysterics yelling her husband was not breathing. so the manager on duty and I raced to the room to find an old man with his pants around his ankles dead on the floor. apparently he had a heart attack trying to pull his pants up. Nothing worse than walking in on a dead guy hanging dong. Oh and then his family stayed after that day, which was awkward. We felt terrible for them but after what I saw i didn’t really know what to say to them any time they came by the desk.
24. I called out “housekeeping,” and he called me inside. Old man tourist was in the bathroom, naked, with a newspaper and pooping on the can. I apologized and left, meanwhile he’s waving the paper at me going “No, no — it’s okay, it’s okay!”
“No, dude. It’s really not.
25. This guy got a room for the weekend, nothing out of the ordinary. Except a few hours after he checked in people started going up to his room at all hours. This caught the attention of the staff but was not brought to my attention until sunday evening after this guy had checked out and some guests started complaining about the smell. I went up to check and as soon as I opened the door, there are things you wish you could unsee, this was one of those. The walls were covered in shit and blood. The bedsheets on the floor covered in urine. The mattress was just covered in any and every bodily fluid you could imagine. The toilet bowl and the tank as well as the tub was filled all the way to the top in feces, blood, urine, everything. Every single surface in that room was covered in some sort of filth.
The police was called and apparently this guy had been doing the same thing on several cities for the past few months. We had to shut down that part of the floor for like a week for a cleaning crew to take everything out, clean evrything and refurbish the room.
26. I worked front desk at a Best Western and I let the people in who did it. Needless to say I lost that job, their reason was that a senior employee wanted more hours and I was the newest hire.
The two guys came in late at night and both looked a little on the sketchy side. But nothing really bad. I thought one might’ve been high but as this is Washington it wasn’t weird. It was a massive mistake, a horrible mistake. When the morning rolled around the room was devastated. There was cigarette burns in almost everything. A porn DVD left in the rented DVD player. Condoms everywhere. Apparently they had kicked out the screen in the window so that they could smoke out on the fake balcony (it was less than a foot wide). It was insane. The nastiest, dirtiest, grossing crap I’d ever seen. Apparently they’d brought hookers up there. No one wanted to touch anything.
27. I worked for a hotel on a small tourist island off the coast of Long Beach, Ca. Every Monday the ferry would unload around 30 Mexican men. They would all wait in the hotel lobby for a bit and then seemingly disappear. I later discovered there was a door to a room that was not included on the hotel fire escape maps they put on the door in every room. Sure enough one day I caught a glimpse behind the mysterious door and saw a room crammed full of bunk beds and illegal immigrants.
28. I worked at the Yellowstone Club in Montana. Tons of rich people. Before quitting there I was cleaning in a mansion owned by a former MLB team owner. His sons had stayed the night before. The main level was untouched, but downstairs a Bud Light/money/coke bomb had exploded and left the evidence everywhere. And in the middle I found a Visa Black Card. It was just insane. At least 5k in Ben Franklins, and coke on every surface.
29. I worked the front desk for a little over a year. One day my front desk manager tells me to come into a room, and I’m thinking, well, this cannot be good. So I go to the room and she ushers me into the bathroom, and there, in the TANK of the toilet, is the biggest dildo I have ever seen. Had to have been about 15″ long and easily 4″ wide. Just set in the tank of the toilet. It’d been there awhile, it was covered in green slime.
Made for a great laugh, but also lots of questioning. I joked that we needed to check ALL the tank toilets from there on out!
30. Two words, meth lab. Abruptly left and placed a do not disturb placard on the doorknob. Didn’t work for them much longer after I mentioned it to my boss and ask “should we call the cops?” Her response “No, it happens all the time just go clean it up.” Needless to say I just walked out and went home. Didn’t feel like getting shot that day or any for that matter.