Has something ever happened to you where you sit back and think “what are the odds of that happening?” Astonishing things happen everyday that seem to defy all logic.
Here are a few stories from people who, despite the odds, had improbable things happen to them.
1. A guy with the same name and same birth date as me died. I was doing a job at the law firm where his will was held on the day of the reading. They freaked out and asked me to confirm a bunch of details to make sure I hadn’t died.
2. I found a random orange on the street while walking to school, I picked it up and tossed it down a driveway and it landed right up against a cars back tire. When I was walking home, the car backed out of the driveway and as it drove over the orange it sprayed all over me.
3. My friends bank account number is the same as her passport number.
4. In the middle of making an omelette I answered the door while holding a whole egg. It turned out to be my new neighbor asking if she could borrow an egg. The look of confusion on her face when I produced one on the spot was only matched by my own, she took it and left without saying a word. It was super weird.
5. I ran up the rear end of a taxi twice on the same night. The first time I was going clubbing with mates, he’d locked his brakes and I drove straight up the back side.
We exchanged details etc, after the club we were driving back, I thought the cab in front looked familiar, he locked his brakes again, I smashed him again. He gets out and turns white. “YOU! Why? WHYYYY?”
6. I stood on a venomous snake by accident but escaped unhurt because I stood on its head.
7. After my shift every day I would go to hang up my keys on a hook, but as I entered the room I would toss them over to the board with the hooks, trying to get them to land on the hook. And every day the keys would miss and fall to the floor. I would retrieve them and hang them and sit and do my paperwork.
One day, at the end on my shift, I was a bit later than usual and the supervisors were in the room. Again I tossed my keys and they hooked. All of the supervisors were stunned, but my direct supervisor said, “I bet you couldn’t ever do that again.” I grabbed the keys off the hook, walked over to the door and tossed them again. And again they landed on the hook. And in the two years of working there, that was the only two times they caught.
8. I won a Frosted Flakes sweepstakes competition about ten years ago. I was a kid and my mom filled out the form that was on the back of the box and sent it in–and I ended up winning an all expenses paid trip to California, a Playstation 2, and a shitload of money amongst other things. I always had thought sweepstakes were a scam and companies never followed through, but it turns out there actually are winners.
9. I was teaching ESL in Korea and we went out one night to a local bar that had a monthly open-mic night where a lot of us foreigners would gather. I got chatting with a random white guy at the bar and asked where he was from.
He said, “Ottawa”.
I was like, “No way, I used to live in Ottawa! Where abouts in Ottawa did you live?”
He answered, “Sandy Hill.”
I once again said, “No way! Haha, I had a car stolen that was found there.”
His face goes slack.
“…was it an 88 to 91 Honda Civic?”
“Yeah, I think that was me. Um, let me get your drinks for the night…”
10. Ok, if this isn’t proof of a benevolent god, I don’t know what is: I was on something and making a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. I put peanut butter on one slice and Nutella on the other but the plate fell off the table before I could complete the sandwich. Not only did neither piece of bread land tasty-side-down but the slice with Nutella on it hit the ground, flipped in midair and landed perfectly on the peanut butter slice. It was awesome.
11. I drove to the park to go running, using my cell phone as GPS. When I was done I put my phone on the top of my car and spent a few minutes stretching. Then I got in my car and drove home.
On the way home, driving about 35 with the window down, I took a turn and the cell phone slid off the roof of the car and into my open window, bouncing off my arm and landing in my lap.
12. I got pulled over by the police because my car and the car in front of me had the same license plate. I was sitting at lights behind a wee black Vauxhall , with a police car behind me. Next thing I know, the police are asking us both to pull over – we both had the same license plate. Turns out that both cars were registered at the same dealership on the same day. A clerical error had led to both getting the same plate. Months later, we are both sitting at the same traffic light and the police are there to see it.
13. A bird pooped on my head while I was riding a bike (and therefore moving quite fast), and literally five minutes later, after I had cleaned up, a bird pooped on my head again.
14. I once had a chat with a random stranger on Omegle video for hours. Parted ways; didn’t want to keep in touch. Bumped into the same person one year later and recognized the person immediately.
15. My brother and I were playing Excitebike 64 in our younger days. There’s a game mode where you climb a super steep cliff. The first time one of us ever reached the top we both unanimously whispered “Mufasa”. It scared the shit out of both of us and I cried out of fear for probably 10 minutes.
16. When I was at university I would quite often get a taxi ride after a night out from a nice old man nicknamed “grandpa”. He had “grandpa” on his taxi license and had business cards with “grandpa” on them etc. He would always give you cheap rides and come whenever you called.
Anyway, four years or so passed without me getting a ride from him, I had heard rumors that he had died which was quite saddening.
About a month or so ago a couple mates and I were waiting to get picked up by a taxi when I decided to tell them about the story of “grandpa”. So eventually I finished my story and our taxi arrived, with none other than grandpa at the wheel.
17. I threw an orange at this bully’s bike as he rode away and it bounced once, so perfectly, that it dislodged his chain and the bike abruptly stopped and he was thrown off. He stood up a bloody, crying mess, but oh boy, I was a hero.
18. Whilst on honeymoon I bumped into my best friend from high school…in Venice, Italy… hadn’t seen him for 14 years. He lives in Australia. I live in England…
19. This has got to be unlikely: I was on holiday at Universal Studios, Florida with my brother-in-law Nick (we’re both Brits) when a random family rush over, start hugging and kissing him and speaking Spanish.
Nick was very confused… until he heard them call him Chris. It turns out the family are Peruvian and live NEXT DOOR to Nick’s identical twin Chris, who moved out to Peru four years earlier. I’d love someone to calculate the odds of that.
20. I once went to get a Gatorade out of a vending machine after PE. I put all of my money in, 1.50$, and out came a Gatorade bottle with a shirt in it. It sucked because I was thirsty and you cant drink a shirt.
21. Irish guy here. A few years ago my mates and I met a bunch of girls in a bar one night whilst on a working holiday in Ocean City, Maryland. Great night had by all. Fast forward 12 months, walked into a random bar in Cairns, Australia and yep, bumped into the exact same girls.
22. Was working a wine banquet back in college on a nice sunny afternoon in a wide open field with no trees. Pretty much everyone was gone and we were wrapping up after a long day. I yawned and the only bird for miles peeped right in my mouth as he flew by.
That and the brain aneurysm that I had about a 1/25000 chance of surviving, but I’m still here, looking for that bird. I’ve been saving a bottle of Exlax just for him.
23. I dropped my toast once and it landed butter side up.
24. One time I ate a Kit-Kat and it was all chocolate.
25. Picked up the phone to call someone only to hear them talking while I dialed their number. They had called me at that exact moment. Was weird.
26. I won tickets to see SNL the exact weekend I was going to the East Coast to visit my dad.
If you don’t know how SNL tickets work, you register for their raffle in August, and then they email you two weeks prior to the show you got selected to. Also, you have to be 16 or older to attend the show, and that’s exactly how old I turned that year.
I’ve never felt luckier.
One time in college, I played a game with this girl called, “Guess the Card.” She promised to have relations with the winner if they were able to get the card right.
Not only did I get it right the first time, but when she challenged me with, “Double or Nothing,” I got it right again.
However, I did not get relations and I still feel cheated. : (
I was on the bench during a football game, and I was drinking from a water bottle. For no reason, everyone was looking at me, and I took a swig, then flung it towards the holder which was on the floor about 10m away. It did a perfect backflip then landed in the only spare space on the holder. Everyone looked back at me amazed and I just shrugged my shoulders and turned away.
We had a food fight in high school where I threw a chicken nugget that flew across the whole cafeteria and hit this girl’s soda can just as she was taking a drink.
Once when I was surfing I stepped on a stingray’s head and managed to jump out of range just before he whipped his stinger forward to hit me. I felt like Spider-Man the whole day.